Saturday, April 11, 2009

CHALLENGING TIMES

This time of year is always challenging for us. 9 years ago on Easter morning, we lost Scott's mom to a brain aneurysm. Even though Easter falls on a different date each year, we are still reminded of our loss at Easter time.
We are also facing challenges with Scott's pain issue. I have felt for several months that the pain in his knee is a mechanical issue and not one from nerve damage. I feel they have the nerve problem under control at this point. We were back to see the pain management Dr. on Friday and he agrees with me. Now we are faced with convincing the ortho Dr. to refer us to another surgeon, as he has retired from doing actual operations. I have a call in to his office and am waiting to see what they say. If they say this ortho Dr. will not agree to another surgery, we have decided to let the pain management Dr. help us find another Dr., possibly at University Hospital. We really like Scott's current ortho Dr. but my gut says we need to have a scope put into the knee to check for scar tissue. Scott falls a lot from his balance troubles and I think that has caused some of his trouble in the knee. The pain Dr. said Scott is his only knee pain patient that keeps coming back!!! He has had his spinal cord stimulator for 2 1/2 years and we do feel that has helped. However, anytime we try to go anywhere, even to just walk thru the hospital to visit someone else, his pain level escalates so badly, that for the next several days, he can hardly walk, sleep or just relax! We will be going to the VA hospital on Wednesday of this week to have Scott evaluted for the need of a power wheel chair. We know he needs this at times, but I hate to see him have to use it on a regular basis. Please pray that the ortho Dr. will find it in his heart to refer us to one of his associates. We feel very comfortable at the Cleveland Clinic and hate to have to go elsewhere. His history is so involved, that would also become a challenge to have to go thru that repetition again.
On another note, Erica and I enjoyed an evening with my sister in law and niece for supper and prom shoe shopping!!! : ) We found her a cute pair and enjoyed a delicious supper at Applebee's. Prom is just around the corner and I pray for safety for all who will be driving a little later at night than usual.
On a lighter note, I made an awesome dessert to take to Easter dinner tomorrow.......too late, we already ate it!!! It was amazing! :) We'll be sure to let the Beck's know how delicious it was!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Stacey,

I had no idea you had a blog!! I'll be praying for Scott's pain issues. You've been through so much!

Also, I'd like that dessert recipe...what did you make?

Laura Beun

4becks said...

I made a brownie, marshmallow, reese cup torte!!! Amazing! I'll get you the recipe, as it was so yummy! Best served warm.

We were to Cleveland again yesterday and Scott will now be getting a power scooter to use when we go away. Should make life a bit easier. Thanks for the prayers!

Hummel Family said...

Wow, thats a lot of stuff! I will keep you guys in my prayers! May God comfort Scott as he endures so much pain on a regular basis.

So glad Erica now has shoes! I can't wait to see her dolled up on Sat. We hope to be at the The Grand March! :)

I am sure the dessert was yummy. You have a gift when it comes to baking and cooking!

Anonymous said...

Yes,yes...recipe please...